Recipe: Three quinoa salad
The magical main ingredient of this dish is actually a seed, not a grain, as it is often described to be. It’s also a miracle food. Chock-full of protein, it also contains all nine essential amino acids, contains anti-inflammatory phytonutrients, is high in dietary fibre, low GI, and is a great source of calcium, magnesium, manganese and several B vitamins.
BEACHOUSE Ibiza head chef Sebastian Altimari has devised a salad dish drawing on three types of the superfood – a light and refreshing summer plate, perfect for refuelling the body and mind.
- 160g each of red, white and black quinoa
- 1L chicken stock (or vegetable stock if cooking meat free)
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 handful of shallots, chopped
- 1 handful of basil, torn
- 1 handful of cilantro, torn
- 1 handful of pea shoots
- 1 handful of pomegranate arils
- A sprinkling of pumpkin seeds
- Pistachio oil
- White wine vinegar
- Boil each of the red, white and black quinoa seeds separately. Simmer over a moderate heat for 10 minutes or until the seeds are swollen. Remove from the heat, cover and set aside until the liquid has been absorbed. Stir with a fork to separate seeds. Allow to cool.
- Mix in the cucumber, cherry tomatoes, herbs, shallots, and pomegranate arils.
- For the vinaigrette mix well 2 parts pistachio oil with 1 part white wine vinegar and incorporate into salad.
- Top with pea shoots and a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds.